Saturday, March 18, 2006

Cream-colored Ponies and Crisp Apple Strudels

POSTED BY SHURWITT
Okay, this "editorial favorites" business is a pretty good idea, so here's what I'm digging this week:

1. (the 99-cent) Miss Saigon, a big blockbuster musical pared down to the bone and staged on the cheap in a middle school metal shop in Berkeley. only four performances left, so now would be the time.

2. The fact that there are mystery series or novels starring pretty much every supporting character in the Sherlock Holmes stories. There's a Mycroft Holmes series (and numerous one-shots by various authors), countless Watson novels by divers hands, and separate series starring Inspector Lestrade, Irene Adler and Professor Moriarty. I'm actually reading Michael Kurland's The Great Game: A Professor Moriarty Novel right now, and liking it surprisingly well. I still haven't found any Mrs. Hudson mysteries, but you just know someone's put Holmes's housekeeper in the spotlight.*

3. V for Vendetta. I know, I can't believe it either. Someone made a good movie out of an Alan Moore comic? Totally unprecedented. And not to put too fine a point on it, but one with a terrorist as its hero to boot. Still, somehow they pulled it off, and in some ways I enjoyed it more than the comic, if truth be told. Reading the newspaper the next morning is bizarre, though, as pretty much everything comes off as a government lie. Even more than usual, I mean.

4. Still, as much as I liked V, it can't quite compete with the Natalie Portman video posted here.


* Edited to add: Ha! I knew it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home