Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Where have you been, Joe Dimaggio

Oh Kitchen Sink blog, wherefore art thou? And where in a couple of weeks of nonstop work does a college lecturer find the time to update you? To fondle your familiar knobs with her very worn, very raw nubs of fingers rubbed bare by the grammar of undergraduate writing?

Okay, some favorites of the week:
1) Fudgesicles. What? Yes. I hadn'd had a fudgesicle since I was a wee lass (okay, I was never wee. I have been just shy of six feet tall since I was twelve.), but last night I had a Fudgesicle and it was like licking God. Happy Easter! He is Risen in the fudgesicle!
2) Fry bread tacos. My mother has worked for many years as an educational advocate for Native Americans, so a huge part of my childhood was spent visiting reservations, handing out at the Intertribal Friendship House in east Oakland, and going to pow wows. The UC Berkeley pow-wow was this past weekend, and after having received a massage at the gym from a guy who smelled like flowers, I went and got a fry bread taco, and it was like Proust's madeleine in taco form. Hey, mom, thanks for the memories. Looking forward to the ham.
3) Pacifica candles. I'm not a scented candle person, and if I like any smells they're usually somehting pungent like coffee or skunks, but some student I wrote a recommandation for gave me a Pacifica candle for a thank-you gift, and they're like the crack of candles. They smell amazing and you can just hover over it sniffing for hours and hours.
4) Seymour Hersch. Sy, you are the Woodward and Bernstein of our time. Apparently, we're about to drop nukes on Iran. Happy Easter!
5) Wacoal Bras. Yes, some of us who are well endowed are not happpy about it. Back pain, neck pain, torn breast tissue, jiggling, southern-pointing nipples: big boobs are a curse. But the Wacoal bras, which go up to bigger band and cup sizes that those crappy Vicky's secret numbers, will hold even my 34 DDs in firm, perky position for hours and hours. Happy Easter! The titties have risen!
6) National Weather Serivce, Berkeley, Ca forecast for next week: The rain stops.
7) Case Histories, Kate Atkinson: Just like I am not a scented candle person, I am not a mystery novel person. But this novel isn't a mystery so much as a tragedy hung on unsolved formats. Good writin', too.
8) College Writing R4B class discussions, 4/6/2006: Any day when I get to rap the chorus to a Too Short song and my students engage in a long ranging, astute debate about the roots of crunk in popular culture and Bush's responsibility for the ascendance of hyphy is a damn good day of teaching.
9) Geraldine Kim, Pegasus Books, 4/10/06: "I feel like I've been reading for a while. I think I'll stop now". Geraldine, you are a hero to poets everywhere.
10) Telegraph Stories, 4/23/06, Mama Buzz, Oakland. Because we have managed to combine a spoken word guy, a media critic, a guy who writes death notices, a member of an all-male Leonard Cohen a capella choir, and a possible sing along to Monty Python's "Every Sperm is Sacred" into an evening of storytelling your grandchildren will be jealous that they missed. Get your sweet asses down there by 6pm for the fun. Oh, and there's a band too, and they might break stuff.
10a) After I wrote about Chris in the Morning last week, now John Corbett shows up on Gofugyourself.com. I give.

4 Comments:

Blogger Serenaded Hourly said...

Whoa whoa Wacoal! Yay!

I need to figure out how to... oh! Hey, I know! What if you guys figured out a way to make an LJ feed of this blog, so I didn't have to click my booty over here to read? I think there has to be a paid account involved, but it would be worth looking into the running-a-feed-on-LJ thing. I get a few other reads that way. It's handy.

8:29 AM  
Blogger kaya_oakes said...

You know, we ought to do that. I was in favor of keeping the ks blog on lj, but was overruled. Eventually this blog is going to live on the ksmag homepage, I think.

6:12 PM  
Blogger idiolect said...

There is in fact an LJ feed: http://ksfeed.livejournal.com/

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very informative blog. I found everything I needed here. Great content! massage therapy school colorado

2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home